Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The word of the day is rectitude.

The exertion of the conscious will over the life-shape of the individual, at its best, is almost a tactile process; the emotions and the muscles become a concerted system working toward the movement of the world. If you sit down in front of a keyboard things come out of you. Why? Are we not bounded systems?

So what I mean to say is I think I'll start updating this thing more regularly. Just to practice, you know, actually writing instead of producing product. Most of my writing is product. It's selling something. Here I might bore you, but I promise not to sell you anything.

Can we stop selling? Ever?

If you've ever read The Golden Flowerpot, by Hoffman, there are these passages where the main character, Anselmus, gets drawn out of daily reality by Serpentina, the personification of his poetic inspiration. Foofy shit, right? Her heralds are serpents, of course. The first time, he sees some jeweled, emerald serpents in a tree. They coil around, resplendent in beauty, and speak to him in a secret language. It sort of distracts him and it's very unclear whether the people around him can tell it's happening. Later these experiences guide him into a shining eternal realm of inspiration, but whatever, we're getting off topic.

The topic is: these interludes, the snakes. When this happens to me it always leads to a line of inquiry I'm not entirely comfortable with.

I don't actually see snakes, don't worry.

There are pattens in trees, there are jewels in reality. There are deep spaces of emotion in the dark, musty, wooden cracks of this world, cracks opened between patterns, patterns that can't be categorized as either natural or man-made. I've done mushrooms and that's sort of the thing I mean, but this emotion is clearer, unclouded by the haze of drug-induded attention-tunneling. It has to do with emotion, with being a child, with play. It has to do with the closets and cabinets that you used to crawl into when you were a little boy or a little girl.

Is this stuff valuable? And by valuable I don't necessarily mean "marketable".

This is a very old conversation, and I doubt I can add anything new.

No comments:

Post a Comment